HairpinandArrow_blog: Iraqi Heros Live!

Friday, February 10, 2006

Iraqi Heros Live!

"I will not believe our labors are lost. I shall not die without a hope that light and liberty are on a steady advance." -- Thomas Jefferson

Radio Talk Show Host Laura Ingraham is in Iraq and is broadcasting from the field there. So far there have been 5 exceptional days of reports carried on her show, followed up with journal entries on her web site. She's been talking to some of our finest heroic soldiers and her daily accounts are rivoting. Some of the radio listeners have actually gotten to ask questions of the men and women soldiers during her live broadcasts! Jefferson's quote above seems made for Laura and those she's met on her tour

Begin reading an except below and then go to her site for the full on the ground account. This is the real story from people who are actually there, not a biased-against-the-prez/war-version positioned to undermine our military's ability to succeed. I know it might be novel to read first-hand raw news data, but I think you can take it. You might even like hearing unadulterated facts for a change. Hmmm...It used to be this way on all the MSM, back in the good old days... Now lookit here, yew're gettin' me all nostalgic again. Cut that out!

Day 4: Feb. 8th, 2006

We left Camp Victory at 0530 in a very formidable-looking 4 Humvee convoy up to the International Zone in Baghdad . Army policy required us to wear full body armor--chest, abdomen, neck, deltoid kevlar. So of course I flubbed our first "fire in the Humvee" clear out drill--those armored door latches are hard to open wearing an extra 40 lbs. After a short, safe ride north to the Green Zone we met up with a very impressive young man--MAJ John Hudson, who manages $250 million of current construction projects in central Baghdad. If I were to approve cloning, John would be tops on the list. He has it all- engineering acumen, diplomatic skills, and compassion. Tucked away in his ID badge holder is a photo of his wife and two sons--close to his heart. To visit the Iraqi orphanage he has "adopted," we had to leave the (relatively) safe Green Zone with a 20-person security detail, including an advance team (some AEGIS Security Services personnel), all in fully armored vehicles (of course we were armored too!). At all hours of the day in Baghdad it is commonplace to see traffic backed up for long stretches because of added checkpoints or recent car bombs. I felt both awkward and on edge as we snaked our way through cement barriers, past dilapidated shops and garbage-strewn streets. Not to be too dramatic, but I found myself constantly scanning the sidewalks for men on cell phones (possible bomb detonation device) or cars parked on the side of the road (potentially packed with timed explosives). I tried to put myself in their shoes but it's hard. Most are just walking to work, or looking for jobs, trying to get by. It is undeniable that the security situation is pretty terrible. The terrorists can't engage our troops directly- they'd be decimated. So they hit infrastructure in attempt to foment a civil uprising. Electrical towers are easy targets because they are very hard to guard. Two car bombs exploded not too far away from our convoy route- I was told that at least seven Iraqis killed and two dozen injured. We drove by a 10 x 10 foot crater that had been blown out by a bomb that detonated the night before. Yet Iraqis walked nearby, on their way to work. Just another day in Baghdad .

The orphanage was amazing. The soldiers we were with from the USACE brought toys (as they do regularly) to the kids- most were about six or younger. The orphanage held about 25 kids total- beautiful, mostly boys. They sat in their small little chairs, lining the walls for us when we walked in. They pulled the candy out of Edd Hendee's pockets- bubble gum is their favorite so far. Many of the children did have extended family but they are unable to care for them. The staff told me that foreign adoption is possible- a number of us wanted to take a few of these kids with us. I pretended one of the stuffed animals was attacking me and I got one row of boys to laugh. They even taught me a few words in Arabic....

Day 3, Feb 7, 2006

..."When we returned, I hit the mess hall with more soldiers from 1-320 FAR, and heard about some of their toughest battles when they were deployed at Camp Taji. The unit lost six brave men in their two months, but in that same time period, also found and destroyed the largest amount of munitions by any artillery unit in Iraq. These kids-and some older than I am-are soft-spoken and humble, yet more deserving of praise and acknowledgment than all the celebrities in Hollywood. I capped off a fantastic day with broadcast in front of a group of rowdy soldiers from as far away as Iskandaria. Many of you had the chance to talk to them directly on air. This has never before been done on national radio. I saw up close that they really appreciate the support and prayers. They believe in what they are doing here-and they know how hard it is better than anyone. (Special thanks to my new friend MAJ Chris Lambesis, who helped me with this post.)..."

Day 2, Feb 6, 2006

....Thanks for coming here, Laura," Brigade Cmdr. MacWilley said, as he waved goodbye. "How do we get the rest of the country to see the great work these men and women are doing here?" "You just did," I said. The flight over Baghdad gave us a great view of the invasion damage, and of the platform where the old Saddam statue used to be that we pulled down. The road ahead is hard but rest assured we're getting there....


****

Thanks, Laura, for going and for sending back such beautiful reports. Look up Laura's broadcast schedule in your area here so you don't miss a minute of the live broadcasts.
***

Source: http://www.lauraingraham.com/pg/jsp/general/iraqjournal.jsp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home