Spontaneous Acts of Kindness For Our Men and Women in Uniform

I'm starting a crusade of sorts. And I want you all to help me. Here' s the deal. If you are in a restaurant and you spot another customer who is dressed in a military uniform, why not erupt into a spontaneous act of kindness by asking the wait staff to bring their check to you to pay--as an act of thanks for the work they are doing for us all?
If you can't afford to pay the whole tab, you could ask the wait staff to put a dessert or coffee, tea, or other drink on your check that would be served to the troop member(s). Or perhaps you notice a person in uniform behind you in line at a toll booth--why not pay his or her toll when you pay your own? There could be a hundred other kindnesses you could adapt to create the same effect.
These are small gestures compared to the gift they've given us, but they will serve as a genuine show of your appreciation--a little something to lighten their load and brighten their day.
Don't worry about their status. They need not be serving in the war zone to receive our appreciation. That service member has volunteered to protect us by serving wherever needed in one branch or other of our armed forces and it couldn't hurt us to show them how grateful we each can be. If you'll join me in this, you'll make someone's day each time you participate. And I'd love to hear about what happens when you do.***
Photo Sources:
Photo #1 http://www.imaginethatstudios.com/ print/gallery-4.html
Photo #2 http://www.pacom.mil/imagery/archive/0105photos/010524Z.htm



3 Comments:
This is an excellant idea, and I plan to put it into practice. Our family eats out at least once a week.
Great! Glad you are going to try it. I received an email from another reader who tried it out in a convenience store, paying for coffee and sandwiches for 2 uniformed National Guardsmen. They were very pleasantly surprised, grateful and what's better, the person doing the act of kindness was even more excited about getting the opportunity to show his gratitude to them. They shook hands and thanked each other. How cool is that!!! I might be more excited than all of them combined. Would love to hear how your experiences work out. If we brighten only a couple of lives, that's a meaningful contribution. Of course, it would be really fantastic if the idea really took off! Thanks again!
Read the suggestion by hairpinand arrow. As a combat Marine Corps veteran of Viet Nam, I thought it was a great idea. While in a local convenience store, I saw 2 National Guardsmen buying sandwiches and sodas. I walked up to the counter and paid for their lunches. They objected but I insisted and thanked them for their service. It gave them a free lunch, but I think I got more out of it than they did.
Post a Comment
<< Home