HairpinandArrow_blog: Give Me A "State Of The Union" Break!

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Give Me A "State Of The Union" Break!

We listened to the State of the Union broadcast last week addressing: the security of our Country; the healthy economy we still enjoy in spite of a year plagued with natural disasters; the Freedom Corps of volunteers that the President asks each citizen to support with time and energy; institution of new initiatives that will lead to less dependence on foreign oil; a more productive farm policy -- a cleaner environment, and broader home ownership, especially among minorities--and improvements to our public education system. We were thrilled when President Bush directed comments to the Iranian people about their ability to choose freedom for their future.

We watched later as the MSM said that now State of the Union addresses had become as obsolete as Supreme Court nominee hearings. We saw how cartoonists went after our injured soldiers, our government officials, and our President again in the interest of a kind of humor I don't find at all funny. Pundits are still arguing the merits of the President's "style" compared to Reagan's, Clinton's, and others and taking polls about whether Cindy Sheehan should have been arrested or even removed from the premises. As though a President should sound like a movie star auditioning for a role rather than a strong, sincere, heavily burdened leader of the greatest Country on this planet (that means he already HAS the job), or as though Cindy Sheehan has any impact on the State of our Union, or as if our media outlets' silly superficial questions have anything to do with reporting the news. It's all gone the way of National Inquirer and the Hollywood Reporter.

Anyway, I must have been watching a completely different State of the Union address. I thought the President was completely on his game: direct in approach, clear about his priorities, sober about our homeland security, respectful of the sacrifices made by our military families, and optimistic about our economic future.

He pronounced our Country's economy to be strong and presented programs to get us to where he wants to see us in the future. He challenged the congress to unite to solve our future obstacles--putting aside differences of opinion to get there.

He glossed over only one issue that I wanted to hear more about. While he did resolve that protecting our borders is one of his highest priorities, I wanted a little more about the guest worker visas he suggested and I wanted him to propose charging employers who hire illegal aliens with penalties stiff enough that hiring them will be no longer worthwhile.

In any case, I thank my lucky stars that the voters made sure it wasn't President "I'm-a-war-hero-but-I-consorted-with-the-enemy-while-still-in-uniform-during-wartime" Kerry who made that address on Jan 29. President Bush was quite clear to our enemies and about them. We know he will do what is necessary to protect this, his, country. And because he has proven to be a man of conviction, we believe him.

In contrast, the "Malignant left" is losing steam quickly, explaining the desperation we see from its supporters in the MSM, NARAL, NOW, ACLU, Move On.org and all of George Soros' other little so-called progressive (I call them malignant) projects.

It's past time to quit reading the NYT, the Boston Globe, the LA Times. Just quit. It won't kill you and it certainly is not a paper of any historical record I've been witnessing. I've quit some time ago, the MSM--not only, but especially, the news. Last week was such a heavy news week everyone had something to say about it all. I needed a break.

The Alito hearings revealed an insane Ted "I-live-in-a-glass-house-but-dare-anyone-to-mention-it" Kennedy losing his grip. Gratefully, I no longer believe Hillary can win the democratic nomination, much less the actual Presidency.

Who could trust her hand to guide a country safely through a War time? Who could claim Teddy is effective and powerful any longer? PUH-LEASE! We need actual patriots in these offices--not politicians--patriots.

Hillary is merely shrewd. She understands politics in an environment where people don't behead their opponents, but I'm pretty sure the majority of our Democratic voters will not be able to picture her in the role of patriot protecting our country from terrorists or a nuclear attack. She's no FDR or Truman, or even a JFK. Certainly, she's no GWB. And, by the way, neither was Bill.

****

Photo Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/01/20020129-11.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home