HairpinandArrow_blog: WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH US KIDS TODAY?

Sunday, November 09, 2008

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH US KIDS TODAY?

From a post-2008-election Hugh Hewitt interview of Mark Steyn: These are excerpts that make the points that especially are concerning about the future of our great nation. I have taken them out of context. The three sections do not transition into each other in the interview. But these three points need to be made if conservatives are going to "find themselves" before the next election.

If you want to read the entire interview, go here. As a post-script that should be the screaming heading, Mark Steyn is one of the most astute thinkers of our time. He understands politics in the US and the society that drives our culture better than anyone. And he has risked his freedom to say it.

...HH: Now which part are you skeptical of? The circles of serenity or the triangles of opportunity?

MS: (laughing) Well, right now…

HH: (laughing)

MS: Right now, I’m not sure, I’m not feeling terribly, I’m feeling the serenity of a guy who’s in a canoe without any paddles, and he’s had a time to get used to the fact that the falls are coming up and he’s going to go over…

HH: (laughing)

MS: …because I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of opportunity, and I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of individual liberty in Barack Obama’s America. I think the virtues of this country, which is individual liberty and self-reliance, are not part of Obama’s vision for America. ....
****

....HH: Now Mark Steyn, you’ve spoken on college campuses, and you know, that there are a lot of young conservatives and young Republicans out there. They don’t, however, 66-28%, I believe, was the youth vote under 30. And I don’t think we present well, either technically, technologically, or rhetorically to people under 30 in this country. Your thoughts?

MS: No, I think that’s a fair criticism. And if you mean that the McCain campaign was not comfortable with the internet generation, simply as a technical proposition, I think there’s a lot of truth in that. But we have to accept the reality of the situation, which is that by the time a lot of these students get to college, they’ve been raised in what is essentially a liberal environment for twenty years. In the school system in this country, liberalism is the air that you breathe. It’s the air that you breathe. If you look at these children’s books about the amazing Obama story that they’re going to start teaching in schools this year, he’s already being beatified as one of these Rosa Parks figures. So in a sense, that’s what you’re up against the whole time, that the founders’ vision of America is not taught in American schools...
****

...That was McCain’s mistake. You’ve got to be committed to economic liberty, too, which is the great driver of opportunity in this country. He made far too many stupid but very revealing remarks, John McCain did, that shows he doesn’t understand that in fact it’s the economic dynamism of America that pays for everything else.

HH: You know, when people wanted to drill, drill, drill, Mark Steyn, we’ve got thirty seconds, I thought we tapped into that again. People know you’ve got to go get energy by drilling for energy. I think people know this. The financial crisis obscured it. I don’t think it’s going to be long returning to the top of people’s agenda. Your last word?

MS: Yeah, and especially not when the Obama message is no, you have to drive a smaller car, when you have to eat less and you have to live in a smaller home. That is not the American idea, and that’s where he’ll trip himself up.

HH: Mark Steyn, always a pleasure,
www.steynonline.com, America.

End of Interview.

***

Yeah, and perhaps the end of opportunity for personal success and liberty in America. Say your prayers.

Now, who exactly is going to:

1) make certain our teachers teach our children the true and inspiring lessons of our founding fathers in our public schools,

2) protect our individual liberty and self-reliance, and

3) lead us toward economic and national security?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home