HairpinandArrow_blog: Love That US Military

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Love That US Military

As you may know, I love the USA Military and its families--and I especially love the USMC Devil Dogs! The USMC is a family tradition for us and nothing makes me more proud than to hear and see the level of patriotism these Americans live. They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. They LIVE their convictions. They make the big sacrifices in the name of freedom and justice for us all. As John Bradshaw says, and I may be paraphrasing, "It doesn't matter what you say, only what you do that counts." It goes along with all those cliches like: talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words, and you aren't what you say but you are what you do. Character. Citizenship. Bravery. Yep, THAT's what I'm talkin' about.

Sgt Grit is a newsletter that I receive weekly and that is thoroughly enjoyable reading. Here are two recent excerpts from some of the good guys. (Thank you, God, for these women and men, their families, and for our capitalistic, democratic (small d) nation. Without all four, we'd be in the same boots as France or Mexico)

My favorite part of your newsletter is the quotes, I have a running list of my favorite quotes on my desk. After reading the Stonewall Jackson quote I felt it needed an update.

"To Whom It May Concern, my training teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. My enemy has a fixed time of death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when I may need to help him meet death...That is the way all Marines should live, and then all would be equally brave"

Respectfully Submitted
Cpl Sean Tuckey USMCR,
adopted from famous Stonewall Jackson quote


***

I woke up this morning, took a nice hot 10 minute shower, shaved with hot water, in a nice clean bathroom, it was quiet, I was not hanging out with 20 other Jarheads, I was not wearing shower shoes, I pulled my nice clean uniform on and walked into the kitchen, my wife was already there making me a nice hot bowl of oatmeal, I didn't have to walk to the chow hall and eat food that was meant to be good, but got lost in its preparation for 5,000 people. I ate in quiet, watched a little morning news, kissed my beautiful wife, jumped in my car, stopped at the local Starbucks and took a nice quite drive to work, no one shot at me or tried to blow me up, just give me my Starbucks and the AM radio..............................It's good to be home

GunnyD (Recently returned from Iraq)


***
Source: Sgt Grit newsletter, April 20, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home