HairpinandArrow_blog: Al Qaida Devastated By US Forces *** Pew Poll Positive on Iraq Success

Friday, November 25, 2005

Al Qaida Devastated By US Forces *** Pew Poll Positive on Iraq Success

I am thankful for the report I received today that Al Qaida was devastated by the recent US forces attack in western Iraq. Newsmax quotes Major General Rick Lynch praising the success of our forces over the past two months of Operation Steel Curtain. In case you missed the totals (how do we know which side is winning if we don't keep score?), over 700 members of Al Qaida were killed and 1,500 captured--in the last two months alone.

The Mudville Gazette carries an early account of the objectives of the operation. Don't know how I've missed this wonderful blog until now. Find a link for the main page in my Essentials and Links in the right hand column. I couldn't stop reading once I got started.

Iraqis are also thankful for our efforts. The Iraqi Red Crescent organization's President Hakki (Red Crescent is like our Red Cross) pledged a chunk of change--$1 million--to help Katrina victims -- the money has already been transferred by wire in honor of our Thanksgiving holiday and to thank the US.

***

P.S. Go Christmas shopping today online by buying a CD of songs written and produced on a computer in the field in Iraq by three real life soldiers still serving there now. Here's their website. The CD costs only $10 plus shipping. Great way to support these brave and talented guys (translated US heroes). (Source: The Mudville Gazette, today's home page.)

***

PEW POLL SAYS MOST EXPECT SUCCESS IN IRAQ

Yes, I'm shouting this headline found in an article posted in the Washington Times by Jennifer Harper. Polls are so interesting: these show support for the War by the public (56 percent of the public thinks that efforts to establish a stable democracy in the country will succeed), not so much by journalists, and even less by academia (whaa? whaa? what are you sayin'? This whole idea is shocking--journalists and academia are on the wrong page? whaaaaa? whaaaa?)

According to Jennifer, "The survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press -- which also plumbed opinions of journalists, university presidents and others in academe, diplomats, government officials, religious leaders, members of the military, scientists and international security specialists -- revealed a marked disconnect between the perceptions of the general public and many of the so-called opinion leaders."

Also there's a quote about the President's tanking numbers--or I should say, so-called tanking numbers by accounts in the MSM:

President Bush's approval ratings have grown tepid -- but have not tanked -- among Americans. Overall, Mr. Bush garners a 40 percent favorability among the public, with 52 percent disapproving of him and 8 percent "unsure."

However, 52 percent approve of his efforts to fight terrorism, and 86 percent say defense against terrorism should be a top foreign policy priority, followed by the protection of American jobs (84 percent) and preventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction (75 percent).

Only 24 percent of Americans approve of Mr. Bush's immigration policies, but 51 percent say reducing illegal immigration should be a top foreign policy priority.


I've said it before. I do not believe the President's polls have changed. Those who supported him in the past still do and those who have painted his picture in their political target's bulls-eye also still do. "It where you put your eyes, that's about the size of it." I'm truly grateful today. The worm is re-turning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home