The Fair and Balanced?
Fox News has been getting my goat over the past weekend. In fact, it's been MIA for the last two or three weeks or so. Over this past weekend, the commentators all seemed to take a brand new direction--and I have a theory about it. I think they're all a little too heady with the attention they're getting by way of the huge viewing numbers they've been racking up. I think Fox started out as The Actual Balance to the other five news organizations. Today, Fox network has forgotten its Mission. Call it growing pains, or a midlife crisis. You can just see it mulling over the question it didn't use to think it would ever ask itself, "What if we really could compete with the networks after all?" It now offers an opposing view--its own "balance"--to any and every Bush position or statement covered. It just makes me crazy to see the Fox shows--like the networks and CNN and MSNBC--giving John Kerry way too much positive air time and respectability while posturing --looking as though it's hoping to impress some journalism professor somewhere. I'm hoping it doesn't forget why it originally racked up such big Convention and Debate audiences. We LIKED it the way it was. We were tired of the left wing whining and of the other media's secular moralizing. Here's a thought: Why doesn't each organization just come clean about its actual political leanings and let the public decide itself which "sides" to listen to so it can make its decisions about whose truth rings true. As it stands, no one--not anyone--is giving good TV coverage to the President and his positions. I want to see his side presented fairly too. I can't be the only one out here who does.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home